A Manchester company has been fined more than £19,000 after a series of food safety violations were discovered at two branches of Kanas Fried Chicken – both run by Wingate Services Limited, 267 Kingsway, Burnage.
A number of serious violations were uncovered by Manchester council health inspectors at the two establishments – including evidence of mice.
Wingate Services Limited were fined a total of £16,000 – for 16 food safety offences across the two takeaways – and ordered to pay costs of £3,087 at Manchester City Council Magistrates’ Court on 15 June 2017.
On 16 March 2016, an officer from Manchester City Council’s Environmental Health team visited Kansas Fried Chicken, 267 Kingsway, Burnage, and carried out a routine food safety inspection.
The inspection revealed evidence of mouse activity at the premises as well as dirty conditions throughout – with greasy walls, damaged floor tiles and worn chopping boards in need of replacing.
Mouse faeces were found under the serving counter, next to food packaging and behind the drinks fridge. Mouse droppings were also visible under a heated cabinet, used to store cooked chicken, and in food preparation areas.
The premise was found to have pest proofing problems, including a large gap under the rear door.
Boxes of raw chicken were discovered stored next to lettuce, creating a risk of cross contamination.
Considerable advice and guidance was given to the director of the company regarding work needed to deal with the infestation.
The company agreed to voluntarily close the business until such time as the infestation was under control and the cleaning standards and food safety practices were improved.
The takeaway was not allowed to reopen until 21 March 2016, when the officer was satisfied that the pest infestation was under control and that improved food safety practices and procedures were in place.
A second Kansas Fried Chicken at 424 Wilbraham Road, Chorlton – also run by Wingate Services Limited – was inspected on 30 March 2016 following a complaint from a member of the public.
A large number of mouse faeces were seen throughout the premises, including on shelving under the serving counter, next to food packaging, in a storeroom and a walk-in-fridge.
Mouse droppings were also seen in food trays in a storeroom along with gnawed nesting material.
Again, there were serious pest proofing issues with large holes in the structure of the rear walls and gaps around doors that could allow access.
The walls and floors in the take away were dirty and equipment was encrusted with grease. Chopping boards, sinks, the wash basin and fridges were all found to be unsanitary. The floor tiles were in a poor state and could not be easily cleaned and the rear yard was strewn with refuse.
The director of the company agreed to close the business and did not reopen until 4th April 2016, when the officer was satisfied that sufficient cleaning, pest treatment and management controls were in place.
Councillor Nigel Murphy, Manchester City Council executive member for neighbourhoods said: “All food businesses need to understand the responsibility they have to their customers, who rightly expect all cafes and restaurants to maintain the highest standards.
“The complete disregard for hygiene displayed by this company is frankly unacceptable, which is illustrated by the severity of the fine.
“This case should serve as a warning – our inspectors are out there and will not hesitate in taking action to protect the public.”