Tennis fees at St Mary’s Park in Prestwich will be introduced from 1 April 2018 as part of the next stage in developing a sustainable community tennis facility at the park.
Despite the introduction of fees, courts will still be free for use for 16 hours each week from 4pm to 5pm on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays and 7pm to 8pm on Fridays. Free coaching will also continue to be offered in partnership with Tennis for Free, the community sports charity.
Last year a £65k tennis re-development programme commenced at St Mary’s funded by the Lawn Tennis Association (£30k) and Bury Council (£35k).This involved:
- resurfacing, re-painting and remarking the tennis courts;
- upgraded fencing and new posts;
- installation of an access system linked to online bookings;
- introduction and ongoing development of online bookings; and
- appointment of a community coach and ‘Tennis for Free’ sessions on Sundays.
Following community consultation and engagement, the next step in the development programme is to introduce a subsidised charging structure which will offer players a choice of options.
Councillor Andrea Simpson, cabinet member for health and wellbeing said: “The developments at St Mary’s have been really popular with more than 500 users now taking advantage of the fantastic facilities and on-site coaching opportunities. With the continued support of the community, and our partnership with the Lawn Tennis Association, we look forward to sustaining these quality facilities for the benefit of all.”
Councillor Alan Quinn, cabinet member for the environment, said: “While the council will continue to support St Mary’s Park, introducing these fees will be key to maintaining the recent £65k investment in tennis. The income generated will be invested back into the facilities and into the tennis programme so that we can maintain the high standard; continue to provide free or subsidised activities and coaching; and widen access to the sport.”
The hire fees will come into effect from April 2018 and will be favourable in comparison to those introduced by councils elsewhere.
- £45 for an annual pass for a household (unlimited year round bookings)
- £20 for an annual pass for adults: over-16s (unlimited year round bookings)
- £5 for an annual pass for juniors: under-16s (unlimited year round bookings)
- £5 per month for a monthly pass (unlimited bookings per month)
- £3 per court for ‘pay as you play’/single court booking (1 hour session).
The tennis investment scheme at St Mary’s is a pilot project. Tennis courts at other parks in the borough will continue to be offered free of charge until the development programme is rolled out.
More information about tennis development at St Mary’s Park is available at www.bury.gov.uk/stmarys-tennisdevelopment. Tennis courts and tennis coaching can be booked and paid for at www.burytennis.co.uk.For information about Tennis for Free coaching sessions see https://www.stmarysparktennis.co.uk/
St Mary’s tennis league also welcomes new players interested in friendly competitive tennis – visit https://localtennisleagues.com/stmarysparkbury.