Manchester based company Worldwide Wholesale Ltd has been fined more than £18,500 after a selection of unsafe items, including a baby’s bottle and rattle, were found at their premises on Mary Street, in the Strangeways area of the city.
Manchester City Council Trading Standards officers visited Worldwide Wholesale Ltd, on 7 October 2016, following a referral from Knowsley Trading Standards. During the visit officers uncovered a number of items that they had safety concerns about, they were removed for further testing.
Among the items were:
A baby bottle set, the teat on the bottle was found to be unsafe and broke when subjected to minimal force. The markings on the bottle also failed to meet accuracy requirements – which could result in a baby being fed the wrong amount of milk.
A pineapple baby teether that did not have the required warnings and was not marked in accordance with British Standards.
A baby bottle and rattle set that did not include the required instructions for use or any hygiene care guidance. The set also lacked a CE mark and did not have the necessary warnings or labels.
A child’s doll that was found to contain excess phthalates, which are toxic if ingested.
And an AC & Car charger that was found to be unsafe, posing a risk of electric shock.
Worldwide Wholesale Ltd was fined £15,000 and ordered to pay costs of £3,479.01 with a victim surcharge of £170 when the case appeared before Manchester Magistrates Court on 16 November 2017. The defendant failed to attend and the case was proved in their absence.
Councillor Nigel Murphy, Manchester City Council executive member for neighbourhoods, said: “Supplying and distributing products that fail to meet even the minimum safety requirements is unconscionable – especially when they are intended for children. The consequence of these products finding their way to the public could have been dire, which is reflected in the severity of the fine.
“In the run-up to Christmas many of us may be tempted by apparent bargains from unscrupulous traders, who care little about the quality of their products but if an item is too cheap or you have any doubts please think twice before parting with your cash.”