We Love Manchester Emergency Fund raises £2m in just 24 hours as appeals join force
Manchester Evening News have joined with the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund, launched by Manchester City Council and British Red Cross
To donate go to www.redcross.org.uk/manchester or call 0300 456 4999
Donations are also being taken in all British Red Cross shops
The We Love Manchester Emergency Fund has raised £2m in just 24 hours. Sports stars, celebrities, members of the public and businesses have all responded to the call for funds to support people affected by the devastating attack in Manchester, as donations have come pouring in from across the country. The Manchester Evening News, who launched the We Stand Together appeal raising £1m, have joined forces with the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund.
• Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure and his agent will donate £100,000 to help the victims of the Manchester Arena attack
• The Wayne Rooney Foundation will donate £100,000 to the appeal
• The Arsenal Foundation have donated £50,000
• British baking firm Warburtons have donated £25,000
• Manchester-based Co-op donated £100,000
• easyJet will be doing a special collection on all flights to and from Manchester and Liverpool over the next two weeks
• The Sun newspaper has donated £100,000 through their publisher News UK
• Norwich arts venues and Norwich Cathedral are also collecting to support the appeal
• Actor Tom Hardy has set up his own fundraising page to donate to the appeal
• The British Red Cross kicked off the appeal with a £50,000 donation from their Disaster Fund
• British Red Cross Disaster Relief Alliance partners Tesco, Aviva, and John Lewis Partnership have donated to the appeal through the disaster fund
The fund will support people who have been injured or bereaved by the attack. The donations will help alleviate suffering and ensure that victims and their families do not face short-term financial difficulties.
The Lord Mayor of Manchester, Councillor Eddy Newman, said: “We are incredibly grateful to everyone who has generously supported the We Love Manchester
“The money raised through your donations will make a real difference to those who have been affected by this horrific attack. The magnificent support received so far shows just how strongly the world stands united with the city of Manchester at this difficult time.”
Mike Adamson, Chief Executive of the British Red Cross said: “We have been moved by the compassionate response to this appeal for victims and their families. People from communities across the U.K. and right around the world are showing their solidarity by donating. The money raised will contribute to those affected by this terrible attack getting the help that they need today, tomorrow and into the future”.
To donate, please go to www.redcross.org.uk/manchester or call 0300 456 4999
Anyone who wants to hold their own fundraising events for the charity can use the following link for their donations: